Canadian Immigration for Foreigners in the US
By James E. Root

It’s become an all too common scenario – a foreign national from India who has been in the US for several years working for an American company has been laid-off and faces employment uncertainties. They may be losing their job (which is bad enough), but now they also need to be concerned with going “Out-of Status” if they cannot find another job in a “reasonable” time frame. Many employees cannot port the H-1B to another sponsor and they have no choice but the return to their home country, otherwise, they face going “out-of-status”. “Out-of Status”, dreaded words for non-immigrant beneficiaries and now the future looks uncertain. However, there IS ANOTHER OPTION. If you are currently in the U.S on H1B, F1 or L1 visa, you may want to consider Canadian immigration if you are encountering immigration issues, particularly if you anticipate falling out-of-status.
In 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 and, again, in 2000, Canada was ranked No.1 by the United Nations Human Development Index as the best country in the world to live. Unlike the United States and other countries, there is no quota based on either nationality or occupation. The Canadian Government's new immigration plan for the next five years and beyond is to emphasize the admission of a greater number of skilled immigrants with abilities to contribute directly to Canada's economic and social development.
The rights of Canadian Permanent Residents are almost the same as those of the Canadian citizens except a few, such as right to vote.
1. After becoming a Permanent Resident you will have the freedom to live and work anywhere in Canada.
2. You will also have the freedom to work in/with any profession/employer of your choice.
3. You may purchase/sell any property, own and operate any business anywhere in Canada.
4. A Permanent Resident becomes eligible for Canadian citizenship after living in Canada for a period of three years of the last four years prior to the date of the application for citizenship.
5. The best of all, you and your family can enjoy the benefits of free Canadian Healthcare, free primary and secondary education and subsidized post secondary education, security of unemployment insurance, old age pension, child allowance etc.
Benefits for H1B, F1 or L1 holders:
1. Unlike US work visa for a specific employer/profession a Canadian immigrant is free to work anywhere with any employer or in any profession in Canada.
2. Unlike applying for GC in US, you need not to be present in Canada or working in Canada in order to apply for permanent immigration for Canada.
3. It might take you years to get a Green Card in US, whereas you along with your spouse & dependent children can get Canadian immigration within a period of 12 to 16 months.
4. May opt to stay outside Canada for a period of 3 years in any given period of 5 years and still maintain his/her permanent residence status.
***The pass marks for federal immigration under the skilled worker category was lowered to 67 from 75 points. This is the best time to apply for immigration to Canada as this points criteria might change again any time which may render you ineligible for this opportunity.
We have helped numerous foreign professionals immigrate to Canada to take advantage of the aforementioned benefits and avoid returning to their home country. If you would like to inquire further about immigrating to Canada, contact ROOT LAW GROUP and we will listen to all your concerns, answer all your immigration questions and expertly advise you. ROOT LAW GROUP,, Ph (323) 456-7600


Editor: Akhtar M. Faruqui
2004 . All Rights Reserved.