Applications Called for Edison Scholars Program
Rosemead , CA : Promising high school seniors who plan to attend four-year colleges are encouraged to apply for Southern California Edison’s (SCE’s) 2009 Edison Scholars program, which continues a nearly half-century tradition of awarding scholarships to students who show the potential for successful college careers, says an SCE Press Release. It adds:
“Investing in students and encouraging excellence in their academic endeavors are among the company’s most important philanthropic initiatives,” said Barbara J. Parsky, senior vice president, Corporate Communications, Edison International, SCE’s parent company. “We recognize the power of knowledge and our Edison Scholars program offers deserving students a wonderful opportunity to acquire a valuable college education.”
Applicants for the Edison Scholars program must:
- Be high school seniors who live, or attend a public or private school, in SCE’s
50,000-square-mile service area.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher.
- Have taken the SAT or ACT exams and/or met California State University placement standards for entry-level coursework as defined by the Early Assessment Program.
- Plan to be a full-time student majoring in math, physics, chemistry, engineering, materials science or computer science/information systems at a four-year college in, or adjacent to, SCE’s service territory.
- Be citizens or legal permanent residents of the United States.
As many as 75 successful candidates each may receive up to $10,000 in scholarships awarded in $2,500 increments over four years. All applications must be postmarked by April 14. Award recipients will be announced by June.
To download an application and to learn more about the Edison Scholars program, including lists of eligible schools and colleges, go to www.sce.com/CommunityandRecreation/Education/
Dependents of Edison International employees or retirees are not eligible. The scholarships are funded by shareholders, not utility customers.
About Southern California Edison
An Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, Southern California Edison is the largest electric utility in California, serving a population of more than 13 million via 4.8 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California.